Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It's a fiesta!

Well I'm spent. Three weeks back at work and something planned every weekend and I'm about done. I need a day with nothing to do, but I don't think that's happening until September. So I need to keep my energy up as much as possible. That means more plant food and less meat and dairy. More walking, less sitting. 

Tonight's meal turned out better than expected. I've been wanting to make enchiladas for a while but kept forgetting to get chilies from the store. I used to use canned sauce for my enchiladas but haven't found one that is gluten free, so I had to make one. Sooo much better!! Also, corn tortillas don't roll for me no matter how much I warm them or dip them in sauce, so this became a casserole or lasagne type dish. Regardless, it was yummy!



Black bean and rice enchiladas

Sauce
2 tbs oil
1 tbs flour
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 dried ancho chili
2 cups veggie stock
8 oz tomato paste 

Enchiladas
10 corn tortillas
2 c black beans
1 c brown rice
1 c vegan cheddar cheese (I used Daiya)

Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and stir in flour until blended. Add chili powder and blend. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. I took the chilis out at this point but if you want more heat, leave them in. 

Layer the tortillas, beans, cheese and sauce in a glass baking dish. I did 2 layers. You could also roll them if you can manage. Pour remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and melted. Let stand about 10 minutes to set up. Enjoy!

Belly full. Time for rest!

Xo, Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment